Wardley NGR
Leicestershire Directions not known
In use Contact Home web site

Click to view larger - St B Wardley.jpg

It is quite likely that there was a church here at Wardley well before the Norman Conquest. The stone quoins at the western corners of the nave could, from their appearance, have been part of an 11th century building. The earliest identifiable part of this St Botolphs is, however, the south doorway of about 1175; it has a Norman round arch and waterleaf carving of the capitals. The porch, which shelters this doorway, is 14th century bearing a sundial of 1694. There are two early windows in the south wall; the lancet window to the west of the porch is early 13th century whilst that to the east of the porch has a nice example of plate tracery of around 1250. The low square-headed window at the east end of the nave was probably inserted in the late 16th century to give more light to the reading desk. In the early 15th century, the nave was heightened by the addition of the clerestory. The tower and spire were built during the 14th century. The tower has plain rectangular buttresses and a simple one-light west window of the mid-14th century. One feature to notice is the attractive gabling of the dormer windows in the spire. The north side of the nave is very plain, with no windows apart from those in the clerestory, and a blocked north doorway, simpler than that on the south side, and possibly from c.1200. The chancel was entirely rebuilt in 1871. It is possible that the east window is a copy of an original 15th century one. The simple square pews, now painted blue, date from the early 19th century. The pulpit is contemporary, but the brass lectern is late 19th century. The font has a plain octagonal bowl dated 1797. At the west end of the nave, note the memorable 14th century corbels to the tower arch. The oak timbers in the nave roof have acquired a lovely silvery-grey colour in the course of five hundred years. A rare and unusual feature is the 19th century barrel organ by T.C.Bates of Ludgate Hill, London. The richly carved chancel arch is of 1871. Two features retained from the earlier mediaeval chancel are an aumbry (cupboard for books, or the Holy Oils) in the wall to the north of the altar and a piscina recess, probably 13th century, in the south wall (Piscinae were used for washing the chalice at the end of Mass in the Middle Ages)
  Picture Source Copyright Peter Buttle

Updated 14 April 2002

Return to index