Tottenhill TF 64 11
Norfolk Off A10 5 m SW of Kings Lynn
In use


Fr James Nolan, The Rectory, Downham Road, Watlington, King's Lynn, Norfolk PE33 0HS

Click here to view large picture St B Tottenhill.jpg

The Church, dedicated to ‘St. Bardolph’ (Whites 1854) is in the part of the parish called West Briggs, isolated on the road between Tottenhill and Wormegay. The appearance is predominantly Early English/Gothic and Perpendicular but the first Rector dates from 1190 and the Nave is Norman. with an window from this period in the north wall. There is a square tower to the West end and a figure inset in a niche on the west face. The tower is in 13 th century style and contains just one bell dated 1842. An earlier one was stolen on St Valentine's day 1642. The porch has a fine Norman arch but the south transept walls are rendered on the outside giving a patched appearance. The font is plain but octagonal in shape and probably 14 th or 15 th century. There is a  north Norman doorway that is blocked up. The Chancel was restored in 1864 and the arch was renewed in 1877 by Laurie of Downham. The church was locked when we visited in December 2001.
© Copyright Peter Buttle 28 December 2001

Updated 23 January 2002

Return to index