Stow Bedon TL 95 96
Norfolk Directions not known
In use Contact Village web site

St B Stow Bedon.jpg

Stow Bedon was referred to as "Stou" in the Domesday Book (1086). The Old English word Stow meaning "place" generally appears to have been used to mean "holy place" signifying an Anglo Saxon church. By 1278 it was known as "Stouwebidun" as the Manor had been held by John de Bedun in 1212 and probably earlier by other members of the Bedun family, who took their name from Bidon in France. No church is mentioned here in the incomplete Domesday Book although the evidence of the village name and the dedication to a popular Anglo Saxon Saint, St.Botolph, suggest there was a Saxon church here. The exterior of the Church is of flint and over time its alterations show various architectural features. Some of the windows and the font are 14th century and the alter has the original stone slab, which is most unusual as many were removed and used as paving slabs in the 1550`s. There is a Norman window and much of the woodwork is Victorian.
Copyright Peter Buttle Picture Source

Updated 14 April 2002

Return to index