Skidbrooke TF 43 93
Lincolnshire 7m E of Louth off B1200 
In Care of Churches Conservation Trust Contact: Churches Conversation Trust 

Click to view larger - St B Skidbrooke.jpg

Copyright The Churches Conservation Trust

Towards St. Botolph's

St.Botolph's church, Skidbrooke

Pictures source

Sometimes known as Skidbrook-cum-Saltfllet, this is a characteristic Lincolnshire marshland church, set in magnificent isolation with its surrounding clump of trees and just a couple of houses nearby. Outwardly it looks all Perpendicular with a bold west tower, cleristoried nave, north and south aisles, south porch and short nave. Inside much is earlier and the nave is very wide - common in its area. The chancel arch is c1200, and the arcades are early 13th century. It stands like a mediaeval great hall and the texture of its unplastered walls helps give Skidbrooke its special charm and character. The south arcade is astonishing with its octagonal waist-high column bases of about 1400, with earlier capitals, splendidly carved with stiff-leaf foliage. St Botolphs Skidbrooke became disused about 1960 and was vested in the Redundant Churches Fund (now The Churches Conservation Trust) in 1975. It is normally open each day.

The pictures at left are from a postcard of 1910 of 'Skidbrook-cum-Saltfleet' and http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/290882. There are also more in a leaflet produced by the Trust.

Any reference to a St Botolphs Church at Saltfleetby refers to this Skidbrooke one.

 

Updated 24 June 2007

Return to index