Sibson SK 35 00
Leicestershire In the centre of the village of Sibson
In use - Church of England

Contact: 19 Sheepy Road, Sheepy, Sibson, Leicestershire CV13 6LF

Email: mailto:jplant@leicester.anglican.org

Website: http://www.sheepychurches.org.uk/sibson.htm

St. Botolph, Sibson

There has been a church on this site since at least the 12th century, and probably earlier.  The present chancel, the oldest part of the building, dates from about 1300 and contains a piscina and three sedilia.  The windows are light and airy and two of the windows in the chancel are Victorian stained glass.  The chancel contains a sepulchral effigy dating from c1300 and the sanctuary floor contains a brass memorial to the Rector of Sibson, John Moore, who died in 1532.  There is also a curious outline of a window in the chancel which may have been a lepers' window or confessional.  The present altar dates from 1903.

Following the collapse of the steeple in 1724, the nave had to be rebuilt.  This was done largely in brick, by Francis Smith, and was completed in 1726 (for approximately 800).

The tower contains four bells which were restored in 1977.  There is a keen team of bell ringers who are hoping to augment the peal of bells to five.  The clock was made by Samuel Deacon of Barton-in-the-Beans in 1789 and was restored with an automatic winding mechanism as a millennium project.

The church organ was brought to Sibson  from Glenfield Church by Robert Wylie, a long standing church member, in 1966.  It was made c1880 by J Porritt.  Despite regular servicing the condition had deteriorated and it needed a thorough overhaul and clean.  This was done in 2005 and now it is once again used for regular worship and concerts.

There is web reference to a St Botolphs at Wellesborough but it is probably the same church as Sibson

Picture source

Copyright Peter Buttle

Updated 31 October 2010

Return to index