|Shenley||TL 18 00|
|Hertfordshire||On B5378 0.5 miles S of bridge over M25 motorway near J22|
|Redundant - Residential||Contact Peter Buttle|
There is mention of a church at this location in 1180 but most sources suggest that the present structure dates from a rebuilding in 1424. The roof was reconstructed after a fire in 1753 – the date is built into the brick decoration on the west gable end. There is no evidence of a chancel or a tower, both reputed to have been burned down at the same time as the roof. The nave walls externally are faced with square knapped flint – quite a rarity for this area and a match for flint-work found anywhere. The buttresses are mainly brick faced. A wooden tower over the south main entrance was demolished around 1890 and further restorations carried out around 1921. For over 100 years the question of the suitability of the church’s location a mile north of the village of Shenley was discussed. A ‘chapel of ease’ (St Martins) had been built in 1841 in the centre of the village. The church was eventually made redundant after 1972 and was converted to a residence in 1981. The graveyard south of the church remains open to the public.
This is the web site for St Botolphs Shenleybury and a full history will be added to this site.
|© Copyright Peter Buttle 1985||
Updated 20 January 2002
Return to index