Saxilby SK 89 75
Lincolnshire 6 m W of Lincoln on A57
In use Contact - none known

Click to view larger - St B Saxilby.jpg

The church has a small Norman doorway, an Early English north arcade with upright stiff leaf decorated capitals, and quatrefoil piers with deep hollows between the filleted foils. The west tower was rebuilt in 1908 reusing the previous materials. The aisles are Perpendicular and embattled roofs. It would appear that the church has been substantially rebuilt in antiquity reusing previous periods materials and the nave roof is 15th century. The font is octagonal perpendicular with flatly carved and coloured coats of arms of families connected to the d’Aubigny family of South Ingleby. The perpendicular west screen is still in the church. Built into the tower at the level of the ringing gallery is a fragment of a 10th/11th century grave cover with rows of interlace. In the north aisle is a stained glass window by Sir Ninian Comper and just nearby is a Knight and His Lady of the d’Aubigny family (about 1370) who lie on a tomb chest decorated with much foiled and sub-foiled tracery

See also

http://www.churchmousewebsite.co.uk/saxilby.htm

http://www.galfridus.f9.co.uk/church/saxilby.htm (not available May 2002)

  Picture Source © Copyright Peter Buttle

Updated 6 May 2002

Return to index