Newton TF 04 36
Lincolnshire Half mile south of A52 about 7 miles E of Grantham
In use Contact - none known

Click to view larger - St B Newton.jpg

Although there was an Anglo-Saxon church at Newton in Domesday times, the present St Botolphs here was the subject of rebuilding during the late 13th century by the then Rector, William Hemswell (1280 - 1328). There is a nave, chancel, west square tower, north and south aisles with south chapel and to the north, a vestry and organ in what was once the north chapel. There is an octagonal 14th century font and a 13th century plank parish chest. In 1867 the church was subjected to much restoration including a new pitched and tiled roof replacing a former flat leaded one. At the same time the nave arcade columns were set in concrete and this is now giving cause for serious cracking as the east and west ends of the church are not fixed and move with variations in the moisture level of the surrounding soil. Also dating from this time are some stained glass windows, under-floor heating (now redundant) and marble and alabaster reredos and alter. There are five bells that were recast in 1904.
Picture Peter Clarke April 2002 Copyright Peter Buttle

Updated 11 April 2002

Return to index