London Aldgate TQ 34 84
London In Houndsditch, between Aldgate High Street and St Botolph Street EC
In use Contact - none known

Click to view larger - St B London Aldgate.jpg

This church was known as the prostitutes' church, because the ladies would walk around it in order to attract clients (it was against the law to stand in one place and solicit). It was in this area that Catherine Eddowes was seen drunk the night of her murder. 1418  Robert Burford, a bell founder, built the tower. 1553 - The bells were rung for the accession of Queen Mary. The year after they rang for her wedding to Philip of Spain. 1554 - Princess (later Queen) Elizabeth was released from the Tower of London to a less severe prison in Essex. She is known to have heard the bells on her release. Four years later, on her accession, the bells rang again. 1666 - One report says that the church was destroyed but another that it escaped the Great Fire.  1740 - The church had become very dilapidated. George Dance the surveyor was called in and he advised that it would be better and cheaper to rebuild the church rather than repair it. 1741 - The old church was pulled down. 1744 - The new church and tower was consecrated after 5,536 2s. 8d. had been spent on it. 1889 - the interior of this church was considerably altered and redecorated by J F Bentley. 1965 - The church was severely damaged by fire. St Botolphs Aldgate is now a refuge for homeless who walk the streets of London. There are galleries on three sides and an unusual embossed ceiling by Bentley. Among the 16th and 17th century monuments are two to victims of Henry VIII, who were beheaded in 1537 and 1538. The tower and main entrance at the south end (the liturgical west end) are flanked by domed side entrances.
  Picture Source Copyright Peter Buttle

Updated 08 March 2002

Return to index