|Knottingley||SE 50 23|
|Yorkshire West||Near J33 of M62 and A1 intersection|
|In use||Contact - none known|
The name of the Church
gives some indication of its age as St. Botolph, which is a comparatively
rare dedication, is of Saxon origin. There is evidence to support the theory that a Saxon chapel
did exist before the Norman church was built. Of the original church no
trace remains and only the west wall of the succeeding building, which was
raised in 1100AD., remains today. This second church was probably founded by
the Lord of Pontefract, the Robert de Lacy, as a chapel.
Between 1750 and 1756 the nave and chancel of the Church were rebuilt
in the classical style with round topped plain glass windows. 1873 saw the
addition of the tower to the Church and (?) the Chancel in 1887. In 1888 the
Church was further re-modelled by Victorian restorers who included stained
glass windows and the nave was also re-seated and the galleries removed.
An excellent booklet St Botolph, His Life and Times by Kenneth Keenan, Ll.B., Ph.D., FCIB.was available at the church. This gives not only a history of St Botolph's life but includes a list of churches dedicated to him.
|Picture Source (link not working May 2002)||© Copyright Peter Buttle||
Updated 4 May 2002
Return to index