Graveley TL 25 63
Cambridgeshire 4 miles SW of Huntingdon W of A1198
In use Contact: Mrs J Woodger 65 High St or Mr S Sanford Sanmore 81 Toseland Rd Graveley

Click here to view larger - St B Graveley N 2002.jpg

Although there was a church on this site from at least the 12th Century the present one dates from 1255. The tower is mainly 15th century (flint work), the nave is likely of a similar age (limestone faced north side and flint work south), and the chancel is part of the substantial restoration work carried out in the 18th century in brickwork. There is evidence inside that the north wall formed arches separating a north aisle and a large ‘buttress’ on the north side of the tower supports this evidence. Both north and south doors are blocked up and the entrance is through a west door in the tower, which also contains four bells from 1624. A watercolour painting within indicates that there was a south porch in 1748 as well as a short spire on the tower. The east window is of 1931 commemorating the Fielding family. The organ was removed from a nearby church, St Agnes at Papworth, restored and installed 1978.
© Copyright Peter Buttle

Updated 20 January 2002

Return to index