Culpho TM 21 49
Suffolk Directions awaited
In use Contact - none known

Click to view larger - St B Culpho.jpg

Botolph is known to have made missionary journeys in East Anglia and Lincolnshire and it is quite possible that he may have brought Christianity to Culpho and also to nearby Burgh, both of whose churches bear his name. There was probably a church here in Saxon times, maybe founded by St Botolph himself, and one was certainly well established by 1086. Most of the windows and doorways that we see today date from about 1300, although the tiny lancet window in the chancel is a little earlier. It may be that the core of the nave and chancel is Norman. The church was further beautified by a new south doorway and font during the 15th century.

Culpho village site

 Picture Source

Updated 10 February 2002

Return to index