Cambridge TL 45 58
Cambridgeshire In Trumpington Street, Cambridge
In use Contact - none known

St B Cambridge.jpg

St. Botolphs, Cambridge, stands on the east side of Trumpington Street and was originally Norman but now chiefly in the Perpendicular style. It consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, supported by massive angle buttresses and surmounted at the angles by four figures of lions, each holding a vane, and containing a clock and 4 bells. Over the altar is a painting of ‘The Crucifixion’ presented by Mr. John Smith, formerly University printer, who brought it from Antwerp. The east window was filled with stained glass in 1886. The church was restored during 1874-87, at a cost of £1,020, and affords 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1584
 Picture Source © Copyright Peter Buttle

Updated 23 January 2002

Return to index