Bradenham SU 82 97
Buckinghamshire Off A4010 2 miles NW of West Wycombe
In use - Church of England Contact: Rev'd Nigel Lacey, The Vicarage, Church Lane, West Wycombe, Bucks

Click here to view larger - St B Bradenham N 2002.jpg

Standing in a prominent position this church dates from Late Saxon or Early Norman period circa 1100. The nave is small and there are signs of a north door inside which is well concealed but just visible outside. The chancel dates from about 1230 and the tower is Perpendicular - added about 1400. There is a chapel on the north side of the Chancel built by the William , second Lord Windsor in 1542, just before the reformation. This is now rendered with cement giving an unattractive appearance to the otherwise pretty church. It is now used as a Vestry and, despite its effect on the exterior profile, there are some interesting details in this part. There are fragments of painted glass in the tracery to the western window in the north wall of the Nave that are 14th century. The font is from about 1860 and the Chancel Arch was built with much other restoration work in 1865.
Copyright Peter Buttle

Updated 22 January 2002

Return to index