Botolphs TQ 19 09
West Sussex Off A283 between Brighton and Worthing
In use - Church of England

Contacts: Rev'd Timothy L'Estrange. MD. or Stuart Faires

Website: www.upper-beeding.fsnet.co.uk/botolphs.html

Click here for larger view - St B Botolphs 1985.jpg The village of Botolphs is one of the smallest villages in both West Sussex and in England. With the nearby hamlet of Annington, which is also served by this St Botolphs church, the population is less than 50. The south wall of the nave and the chancel arch of the church are Saxon and were built around 950 AD. A north aisle, the present tower and chancel were added about 1250. The aisle was later removed and the present north wall built. The dedication to St Botolph dates from about 1300 – prior to that time it was to St Peter. In more recent times the parish has become ‘Bramber cum Botolphs',. The church has been the daughter church of St Nicholas at Bramber for more than 400 years. Features to note are the Jacobean pulpit with sounding board, three bells from 1536, a pre-Norman window in the south wall and at the west end of the church the coat of arms of Charles II.
© Copyright Peter Buttle June 1985

Updated 19 January 2002

Return to index