|Boston||TF 33 43|
|Lincolnshire||On the banks of the Haven in the centre of Boston|
|In use - Church of England||
Reverend Canon Robin Whitehead M.A.
The construction of this very large and renowned church was started in 1309 and replaced an earlier Norman one. It is the largest Parish church in England that has always been a Parish church. It was not completed until about 1390 and then without the tower. Soon after this the nave was re roofed and an extension built on the Chancel to help stabilise the nave piers, which were leaning to the east.
The main feature is the tower and this has given rise to the name ‘The Stump’. It is 272 feet high to the top of the weather vanes. It was begun in about 1425-30 and completed in 1510-20 of Barnack stone. In 1845-47 Sir G.G. Scott carried out "essential repairs" and in 1851 George Place re-pewed the church and then built the vault in the tower, 137 feet above the pavement. Place then went on to carry out a major restoration program. There were more restorations by Sir G. G. Scott in 1857, by Sir Charles Nicholson in 1928-1933 and, from 1980 onwards, major renovations by Ron Sims of York.
Other features are: the east window (one of Place’s introductions), the font by E W Pugin given in 1853 and the reredos by W. S. Weatherly in 1890 but not completed until 1914. The Pulpit is genuine 1612 but the finest items are the misericords under the seats of the 1390 stalls the canopies of which only date from 1853-60.
With such a large and important church there are numerous works and other items of information available. One such reference is at
|Picture Source||© Copyright Peter Buttle||
Updated 20 January 2002
Return to index