|Bossall||SE 71 60|
|Yorkshire North||9 miles NE of York|
|In use - Church of England||
Contact - Reverend Ivan Howitt, The Vicarage, Sand Hutton, York YO41 1LB
Tel: 01904 468844
St Botolph Bossall is a late Norman cruciform church, with a central tower. The crossing arches inside are also late Norman, but there are other additions up to the Perpendicular period. The font, with an 18th century cover may be Norman. There is a brass of 1454 and a 17th century monument.
In 1823 the Parish of Bossall, in the wapentake of Bulmer and 9 miles NE. of York, was reported as having a living of ďa vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Durham, of which the Rev. James Britton, D. D. is the incumbent. This place, which now consists of three houses, was once a considerable village. Foundations of many houses have from time to time been discovered in an adjoining field, which on that account is called " Old Bossall" Robert Belt, Esq. resides at Bossall. Population, 31."
|Picture Source||© Copyright Peter Buttle||
Updated 10 February 2002
Return to index