Beauchamp Roding TL 58 09
Essex 7 miles W of Chelmsford S of A1060
In use - Church of England

Contact: Andrew Parmenter, PCC Secretary, 17 Horsecroft, Abbess Roding, Ongar, Essex CM5 0PD

Tel: 01279 876219 

E-mail andrew.parmenter@tiscali.co.uk

Website: http://www.essexinfo.net/southrodingschurches/beauchamp-roding-st-botolph/

The church of Beauchamp Roothing, so called after a 13th century owner of the parish, is situated away from the centre of the village, standing in a church yard surrounded by fields and is a prominent landmark within the immediate area. The Church building which is listed Grade II*, looks out onto an idyllic location with a beautiful view. The Church is always open and attracts a substantial number of visitors who are struck by the beauty of the surroundings and by the sense of peace and tranquility they find there. The church building consists of a nave, chancel, tower and south porch. The present nave dates from the fourteenth century, although this may have replaced an earlier structure dating from the eleventh century. Indeed the Anglo-Saxon saintís name may suggest that Christian worship was taking place at the site even before then. To the south wall of the nave there is a staircase with lower and upper doorways evident. The staircase provided access to the rood loft. There is interesting staged benching at the rear of the nave. The chancel dates from the fifteenth century being a rebuilding of an earlier thirteenth century chancel. The tower dates from the fifteenth century and contains the belfry; the bells are still in position although they are no longer capable of being rung. Most of the windows, the reredos, pulpit, and other fittings are new; but the rood screen remains, and there are old piscina both in nave and chancel. The church was much restored in 1870 and again in 1893.

The Church has electricity but no running water or toilet facilities at present. The Church is in need of restoration work, applications for grants have been made but have been unsuccessful so far.  Registers from 1688.

Another good website at http://www.achurchnearyou.com/beauchamp-roding-st-botolph/

Picture source

© Copyright Peter Buttle

Updated 11 September 2010

Return to index

St B Beauchamp Roding.jpg