Barton Seagrave SP 88 77
Northamptonshire J19 of M1 motorway then N of J10 of A14
In use - Church of England

Contact - The Rectory, St Botolph's Road, Kettering, Northants NN15 6SR

Tel: 01536 513629 or 01536 414052

Email: webmaster@st-botolphs.org.uk

Website: http://www.st-botolphs.org.uk

St B Barton Seagrave.jpg St Botolphs Barton Seagrave is one of the oldest churches in the Borough of Kettering. The north nave is the original early Norman part of the church that, together with the central tower and chancel, dates from 1130 AD. The southern aisle, now forming the nave, was added in 1873 together with a further chancel. A further restoration in 1987 levelled all the floors and removed the Victorian pews. Features to note are the north main door with Tympanum, the Norman font, a List of Rectors dating from 1229, the Clerestory windows, the massive tower arches, a Hagioscope (or Lepers Squint), the Carved Heads, the side chapel with its 13th century arcades and a brass of 1616. Note also the small round-headed Norman windows, three of which remain, and the 14th century Decorated style windows. There is an excellent home web site with more information and a plan.
  Picture Source

Copyright Peter Buttle

Updated 20 September 2004

Return to index